In this episode of “Ask the Expert”, a customer from Allendale, SC asks Rob Videon about the origins of a white powdery substance that is covering his basement walls. Could it be mold?
Rob explains that the white, powdery and sometimes sparkly substance that commonly appears on basement walls is not mold, but efflorescence – a tell-tale sign of ground water seepage through basement walls. The minerals in that water are deposited on the wall surface and that mineral buildup is what we know as efflorescence.
While efflorescence is not harmful, the drainage problem that is causing the water seepage and the efflorescence should be dealt with right away. If left untreated, it can lead to mold problems, more serious leaks, basement flooding and even structural damage to the foundation itself.